The Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) is a two-year program at UC Riverside that provides financial support, research mentorship, and assistance with graduate school applications.
Students in their second year or who will be enrolled at UC Riverside for at least two more full years are eligible to apply. Eligible students will have completed at least 90 units of instruction*, have a 3.3 GPA or above, be interested in research, and be willing to consider graduate school in the fields listed on this site.
All students are welcome to apply for MMUF, though applications are particularly encouraged from African-Americans, Latinos and Latinas, Native Americans, and members of other underrepresented groups. Students who have applied to transfer to UC Riverside are also welcome to apply to our program. If accepted, transfer students are conditional fellows, pending completion of their SIR (Statement of Intent to Register) at UCR. International students are not eligible for the program.
*To be eligible to apply in their second year, students must be on track to complete 90 units by the end of that year. If you have questions about your eligibility, contact us.
- One-on-one mentorship from a faculty member
- Experience with an independent research project
- Close relationships with a cohort of like-minded scholars
- $3,600 in academic year stipends for research
- $3,900 in summer research funds
- Funds to cover research-related travel and research expenses, including MMUF regional conferences each fall
- Up to $10,000 in undergraduate loan repayment when fellows pursue Ph.D.s in approved fields
- Personal interaction with professors, visiting lectures & scholars
- Workshops on writing, presentation, and professional communication skills
- Assistance with GRE and graduate school preparation
Anthropology & Archaeology
Geography & Population Studies
Film, Cinema & Media Studies (theoretical focus)
Musicology & Ethnomusicology
Foreign Languages & Literatures
Performance Studies (theoretical focus)
Philosophy & Political Theory
Religion & Theology
Theater (theoretical focus)